Art Silver Shop Shield Brooch
This shield-shaped brooch by known silversmiths Edmund Boker and Ernest Gould dates from the early 1920s. It features a large central circular cabochon of lazurite or sodalite stone. Set into a smooth bezel it is surrounded by applied tusk-like forms that follow the saw-pierced form of the silver shield. It is a subtly bold piece with the high contrast between the bright sterling silver and dark rich blue of the center stone.
The silversmiths, Edmund Boker and Ernest Gould formed the Chicago Art Silver Shop in 1912. Both men had emigrated from Hungary and had worked in a Budapest factory making objects for some of Europe's most noted royal families.
The name was soon shortened to the Art Silver Shop (1918) and their makers mark was adjusted to SAS. This striking shield brooch dates from this time period.
In 1934 the focus of the company changed to wholesale jewelry, and brought yet another name change, Art Metal Studios.
L.1 ¾" : W. 1 ¼"